Lattice Training Podcast
3 Proven Ways To Stick To Your Training Plan: Approaches From Sports Psychology
January 19, 2022
Training Plan Adherence - what does the sports psychology say?! In this solo-podcast session by Tom, he takes you through the 3 areas of behaviour that will massively increase your chances of following through on your plans and reduce the chances that it will feel like a struggle.
Keeping It Fun!
- Add in your friends and/or family - rely on them for accountability and support and fun banter!
- Initially, do what you like, not what you struggle with.
- Add in new skills to your training plan. Learning and the associated quick success feelings will make you feel great.
- Always begin slow on a training plan initially. Plans are hard to follow anyway, don't make it even harder by putting crazy high training loads into the first mesocycle.
Check Your Life Realities
- Convenience will help massively. Look at the aspects of time, location and conflicts of scheduling
- Start with a routine and with time it'll become a habit
- Prioritise your training. Do not try to do all of your training with you're tired at the end of the day, even if you're a busy person!
- Keep your data collection simple. Less that 5 metrics is a good place to start.
- Put your tracking records where you can see them regularly and where you can't possible lose them!
- Retest if you get strange results.
- Remember that data is just a feedback. Aim to have as little emotional attachment to your scores whether they are positive or negative. Focus on trends and not individual data points.